Length: 2.5 km. A short tour through Bridges. The main features of the castle are said to have been built between 1264 and 1284 by the Counts of Kessel.
The castle complex was first mentioned in 1289. Of the four tower complex, only the palace and one tower remained, but Brüggen is one of the most important moated castles on the Lower Rhine. Near the castle lie the remains of a fortress-like rampart with casemates.
Then a walk leads to the monastery church of St. Nikolaus, which after a fire in 1756 could once again be used as a baroque hall church. In the middle of the village is the Kreuzherrenkloster - today the mayor's office. One of the two fortress gates is still preserved and invites you to take a break at the romantic "Torezzer". The narrow passageway, a drawbridge and sand filling between the gates made the weir system bulletproof in antiquity. Customs had to be paid at the gate. The Rentei - the seat of the financial administration - was also located here.
The tour leads to the Brüggener mill, which offers the most beautiful view from the Schwalm with mill wheel and shore area. Grain and oil used to be milled here. The old mill can still be seen in the mill restaurant. The station building of "Klimp", the old railway line from 1890 to 1976, also became a hotel and restaurant. Back in the centre of the village on the Klosterstrasse is the former Latin school, which has been run by the Kreuzherren since the 16th century. The current, smaller house shape was created after a city fire in 1751. On this walk through Brüggen there are many nice shops along the way.